Gelatin free vitamins are in high demand for a variety of factors including health and religion . The main alternative to gelatin is called pectin.
Both gelatin and pectin are thickening agents that are commonly used for making food products including children’s vitamins. In this article we explore the value of pectin as a replacement ingredient.
Pectin is a thickening and gelling agent found in fruits and vegetables, whereas gelatin is obtained from animals. Pectin is a very useful in food; adults and children can benefit from consuming products with pectin as an alternative to gelatin in many ways:
- Pectin allows a lower sugar content in making food products and supplements.
- It helps lower the risk of diabetes. The consumption of pectin in a series of different studies shows that it has helped lower blood cholesterol levels.
- Pectin helps with the lining of the gut.
- It is a source of nutritional dietary fibre which is considered to be important as part of child development.
- Pectin acts as a natural probiotic – this has a positive influence on health and is beneficial for all age groups.
Other benefits of having gelatin free products which use pectin instead are:
- Promotion of biodiversity – the consumption of gelatin may reduce the biodiversity of animals and wildlife.
- Avoiding religious obstacles that surround the consumption of gelatin which leads to people looking for an alternative. Pectin is suitable for most people as it is found in the cell wall of plants.
- Pectin is found naturally as a carbohydrate. This provides increased respiration reactions in the body which creates more energy, growth and repair, especially in children.
ActiKid® Magic Beans Multi-Vitamin utilises pectin and provides all the benefit of a gummy or jelly bean vitamin gelatin free, (as are all our products). It is available worldwide in all good pharmacies and health stores. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to post a comment on this page or message us on Facebook.